Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Back from Kentucky

The wedding trip my daughter Kelly and I took to and from Kentucky started Thursday AM and finished last night. I took Thursday off from running since we were traveling to Morgantown, WV and it was going to be a long day.
Thursday I ran around the WVU campus above the football stadium. Great view, really hilly! I only ran 3.5 miles on Friday but felt it was enough. On the way to Wilmore, KY we stopped at the Natural Bridge and hiked for about 2 hours. I'll post some pictures as soon as Kelly downloads them. We had supper downtown Lexington, KY at deSha's. Good food. They give you a loaf of corn bread which was delicious and I had a burbon barrel KY beer there than had hints of vanilla.
Next morning I ran in Wilmore, 5.25 miles 6.6 mph for 48 minutes. They have a path for about a mile just out of town and I got to explore some of the town too. We went back to Lexington to explore and ate lunch at the Cheapside Bar & Grill. There was a farmers market in the center of town next to the Cheapside.
The wedding was on Saturday at 4:00. I had never been to a Baptist wedding. It was beautiful. The wedding cake was chocolate. mmmm!!! After there was a live band at the town green. We stayed for about an hour and then went back to Lexington. The city has a real hometown feel to it. We will both miss going into town now that we are back home.
I took Sunday off and we traveled to Altoona, PA. We ate supper at Marzoni's Brick Oven & Brewing. Great whole wheat pizza and they had about 7 of their own brews. The 12 oz. were $2.35 and the 20 oz. were $3.25. The Stout, Maibock and IPA were great.
After we went to The Meadows for frozen custard. They have been around since 1950 and by the crowd there it will be around for another for at least another 50 years.
Next morning I ran from the Marriott into town. The Marriott is on an access road. I ran in neighborhoods just off of this road and then back to the parking lot of the motel to finish up. Still very hilly but I ran 6.3 miles in 55:53 for a 6.8 mph pace. I'm tired today and may take it off. I haven't decided yet.

No comments: