Monday, March 22, 2010

Yuengling Shamrock Marathon

I flew into Norfolk on Saturday. Great flight and it was a fantastic day. My son picked me up and we went to the Expo. Keith was running the 1/2.
The shirts were very nice, one I will definitely wear. I got a deal on Accel gel and then we went to the motel to have ww pasta before going to St. Nicholas Church in Virginia Beach. After we went and bought water and food at the store.
Sunday I got up at 5:15 but Keith was late getting up. We got down to the beach and we couldn't find a spot close to the 1/2 starting line. I stared to drive so I could drop off Keith but he would be running from 7-9 and I would be running from 8-12 so we just parked so he could have the keys. He went running off to the start at about 6:50. After he told me he didn't make it until after the start. But the timing chip saved him.
I walked with a couple of locals; it was going to be their first marathon. The bag drop off was really easy and plenty of porta potties.
I was in the street in front of the 3:30 pacer. I really should have been back in front of the 3:40.
Off we went south. I was running between 7:40 and 8:10. People around me started to push the pace and I felt OK so I was running 7:10-7:50 for about 4 miles. I eased up and fell back a little but still running sub 8's. At the 13.1 mark I ran a 1:42+ the fastest 1/2 ever. I knew I would be in trouble. I hadn't drunk enough up to that point. Also we went back out to the beach onto concrete which was not kind on my ankles.
We ran north out of town and then turned and went up hill for about 4 miles. Even though it was a gentle incline, it did me in. It was deceptively humid. I really needed a lot more to drink and I started to drink 2 waters each station. At 20 miles I was struggling. I was dead art 22 and my left leg was cramping at 24+. Probably 50 people passed me in the last 2.2 miles. Finally I turned the corner and saw the finish in the far distance. I ran under the banner at 3:44:59.
I went to marathon guide just now and saw that age graded equivalent time was 3:06:49 so I fell better about my time. The chip time was 3:44:40, so I qualified for Boston, I was 383/2639 which surprised me and I was 7th in my age group.
Keith ran the 1/2 in 1:49:01, 824/6546 and 100 in his division.
I felt faint and nauseous after but felt better after 2 bottles of water.
The after party was great! 4 free beers, beef stew, and a live band for 4 hours. We had the best time.
My avg HR was 146 and my max was 158. My avg speed was 6.7 mph and my max speed was 10.9 mph. I burned 3123 calories. I averaged 7 mph or better until mile 21 where I fell to 6 and then 5 at 24+ miles. I kept watching my pace drop at the end without being able to step it up.
Hopefully, this experience will help me in Boston. There I will start slower and not pick it up until at least mile 15 and try to turn it on at mile 22.

5 comments:

Greg said...

Hey Keith
Just stumbled across your blog and realized we finished virtually together in VA Beach this weekend. I've got some great photos of you (and me) at the finish if you're interested. Let me know and I can email them to you.

Keith said...

Thanks Greg. I'd like to see the pictures. It was a great weekend. What are you doing next?

Lindsay said...

you sure are running a lot of marathons this year already! congrats on another notch in your belt. so you are running boston in a month too? if you want to run slow, that is my plan and you are welcome to plod with me :) (my vertigo has made for a slight detour)

Keith said...

Boston is great! You may run faster than you think since the crowd is awesome. I usually try to go slower for the first 15 or so to have something left for the hills. I used my Hartford time so I'll be in the 3:30 corral in the first wave probably 2 or 3 back from the end.

Greg said...

Well I'm waiting to find out about NY, but planning Marine Corps in the fall. I'll be running trail races all summer and am on a team for the Blue Ridge Relay in September. I'll email the photos to you.