Sunday, February 14, 2010

Myrtle Beach Marathon Cancelled!!!

Yes we went down to Myrtle Beach just to see the snow on palm trees.
At the expo they said that the start time was moved to 7 AM; then at about 11 PM they cancelled due to the weather. Since I'm from CT the weather did not seem to be a factor. If they had postponed the start until 9 AM everything would have been OK; no ice or snow on the road and they could have ended the race for all participants @ 3 PM. I guess that wasn't an option.
There were a lot of angry people at my motel. Since I am scheduled to run a marathon in March, April, and May it doesn't seem so bad. But now I have to find the time to run my 20 in the next 2 weeks. Also I missed getting SC checked off my list of states I have run a marathon. My wife and I will just have to come back another February to visit my son and I'll run it then. Hopefully, next time there won't be any snow.
So I ran 6.8 miles on a treadmill at the Marriott instead of in the race.

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

i heard about that! major bummer :-/ i figured the weather wasn't as bad as they had expected since they canceled it at like 10pm and the weather didn't seem that bad when i looked online sat morning. sc is not as experienced in deal with snow so don't give us too hard of a time :) are they going to compensate you in anyway? entry for next year?

hope you enjoyed your weekend anyway.

Greg said...

Hey Keith. Just stumbled across your blog and realized I finished about 30 seconds in front of you this year at VA Beach. I've got a great photo of you (next to me) coming to the finish. If you want a copy emailed, let me know! Great run!