Thursday, November 25, 2010

74th Manchester Road Race

Before I write about Manchester I did a recovery run of 4 miles on Tuesday to get my legs back for today.
My 3 daughters ran Manchester as the 3 blind mice; they had a great time even though the weather was a little cold. I warmed up for about 3/4 of a mile and then went to the bathroom at Dunkin Donuts. Then I had a 1/2 mile walk to the race. I did a lot of stretching and exercises at home in preparation and I felt good in the starting corral. This was the fifth time (I think) that I received a card for the 30-35 slot. the Adizero Bostons felt great from the start and I was able to get to mile 1 in 7:19 about what I had planned. I didn't feel that I was pushing myself so I was in a good position to take the hills. I did fall back to 7:55 on the hills at one point but as I crested the top I quickly went to 6:20/mi. I stretched it out on the downhill and tried to stay at about a 7:20 pace on the flat. When I got near the finish, the announcer  was saying that we were 33 minutes into the race. I knew I would be under 34 and get a card again next year. My time was about 33:33, a little over a minute slower than last year but with all my recent problems I was thrilled with my time.

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

glad to hear things are going better! happy thanksgiving!!

Keith said...

Thanks! I am feeling much better. Happy (belated) Thanksgiving to you.