Saturday, August 22, 2009

Simone's First 18 miler *

Today I ran with Simone for her August long run. I had to call her at 5:50 AM and push the time back to a 7 AM start, we had planned on 6:30, because there was still thunder & lightening in the area. At 7:05 we started and it started to rain and rained for about 4 miles. It was nice, kept us cool and the sun came out when it was still raining. I love to look up and see the rain in the sunshine!
We started at a 6 mph pace and kept a 5.9 mph pace most of the way. It was VERY hot and HUMID!
Simone did well but needed more to drink at 16 miles. We both carried 4 bottles but it was too hot. We finished 18.1 miles in 3:05 a 5.9 mph pace. We were able to walk about a mile back to my house. Her 1/2 marathon time was 2:14 which is 22 minutes slower than her PR. I know that she will run much faster in the marathon. How fast? I'm still not sure.
This time I suggested she not run again until at least Wednesday; she may feel the effects of the run the most on Monday and then recover Tues/Wed.
I read a great list for 1st time marathoners/1/2 marathoners on http://www.nomeatathlete.com/nutrition-training/marathon-race-day/
Good advice for experienced marathoners too.

No comments: