Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Back to Running

I took a total of 5 days off and started to run again on Saturday, 4.1 miles in 32:50 for a 7.4 mph pace. It always seems like I can run fast on my first day back after a break. BUT usually I hurt the next day. This time I felt fine and on Sunday I ran 6.2 miles in 51:00 for a 7.1 mph pace. Monday I increased the mileage once again to 7.1 miles in 58:21 for a 7.3 mph pace.
Yesterday I went back to my hometown to run along the Sound; the previous day was so hot and humid that I felt a day at the beach would do my legs a lot of good. I ran 5.8 miles in 48:00 and spent a lot of time in the water and walking on the sand. The cool breeze and salt air were wonderful. I wish I still lived on the shore.
Today was another humid. I ran 7.1 miles in 58:52 for a 7.1 mph pace.
I talked to Simone last night and we will shoot for 18 miles on Saturday 2 weeks after the marathon. I thought it would be good practice for me to see how I feel since I would like to try to run the Hartford and Marine Corp within 2 weeks of one another in October.
This will be Simone's longest run ever; we'll start about 6:30 AM when it should be a little cooler.

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

i'm usually way slow once i start back up running after a big race/few days off. what is your secret? :) those are some great recovery/easing back into it runs. good luck with the 18 this weekend!

Keith said...

I feel good in the heat. I learned one thing from Drake Well, it's not the hills as much as how fast you run. 3:48 is not particularly fast for me so I think I recovered quicker because I ran slower.