Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Boston Marathon

This was my 4th and my second fastest.
My daughter Kelly and my friend Ruth brought me to Hopkinton.
I sat on the bus with Mark from Toronto. He ran a 3:10 last year and hoped to run faster and qualify for New York. I asked him about the Toronto Marathon and he said the Toronto Waterfront Marathon was very fast and a beautiful course.
Corral 12 was next to the last in the first wave. My bib # was 12780.
It was a great day weather-wise. I tried to be conservative on the down hills and ran slower through mile 12. My legs felt good.
It was awesome having my name on my shirt; 1000s of people yelled my name and twice at the colleges 15-20 people were shouting Keith, Keith, Keith again and again. Very inspiring!
I ran with my cousin Candi's husband Bob for parts of the first 9 miles. He came in at 3:32:01 and I came in at 3:38:04. Both were great times considering he is 50 and I am 57.
But in comparison, I have a 28 year old friend who is a great runner and he ran a 2:37:59 which I think is the fastest marathon ever for him, a PR in Boston Nice!!!, 143 overall and a 6:02 pace.
Very special. I don't think you have to be a runner to appreciate the speed at which he ran 26.2 miles. In my book he is an elite runner and certainly a very special individual.
After Kelly, Ruth and I ate at Legal Seafood. 
Then we took the Green Line back to Riverside in Newton (exit 22).

No comments: