Sunday, December 11, 2011

Rehoboth Beach Seashore Marathon

Nick, who I work with at Fleet Feet, and I ran the marathon yesterday. It was the perfect weather and we stayed at the Atlantic Sands Hotel, about 1 minute from the start line. Nick ran a 3:23 (PR) for his second marathon, taking about 3 minutes off his Hartford time.
I started slow and my Achilles seemed fine; at about mile 7 it turned into a trail run which was great. Finally back on the road after about 4 miles of mixed trail and road, I started talking to a guy from Maryland. We talked for about 10 miles; it helped to keep my mind off of my aches and pains. I forgot my Garmin but he had one so I knew my pace. I picked it up at mile 20 and ran faster until mile 25 when my left calf started cramping. It got so it was cramping every step so I had to slow down. It felt OK for the last 50 feet so I tried to step it up at the end. I still feel good today.I ran 3:51:30, in 234/641 place, 8:50/mi. and 6/27 in my age group M55-59.
I did receive a free massage after the race, this is the first time I took advantage of the massage after a race.
It was a fun weekend and the Dogfish Head  pub is there too!

No comments: