Tuesday, November 13, 2012

OBX Marathon

Keith picked me up at my Hotel at 5:10 AM and we drove to Mentao HS to catch our buses, mine to the full and Keith to the half. Plenty of potties at start but a little cool for the garbage bag. I wore a singlet with Saucony sleeves and CEP compression socks. I started and my left leg hurt after about 0.5 miles. I ran on the grass as much as possible. There was plenty of grass. Then we hit a trail for about 2.5 miles. Very nice. I met 3 people running the Richmond/OBX double. I also met a couple who ran a marathon/month. They told me of a trail marathon in Seattle area which I am checking out.
After 15 there was little grass to run on so I slowed some. But by mile 20 I was OK as long as I kept my shoulders way back and had my right leg land more toward my center. I was trying to get my right leg to do more work and I was reasonably successful. I had a strong finish with a long up hill over one of the many bridges in OBX. Overall I was happy with a 3/26 finish in age group and a 4:08:21 time, 356/1189 overall.
4 in 4 months; I didn't think I would make to this point but I only have 2 to go to get my second star in the Maniacs.
This was my 15th state.

No comments: