Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Hyannis Marathon

First let me say after I read what people said at Marathonguide.com, I didn't have a great feeling about the race.
BUT everything they criticized was great. Maybe the organizers read the comments too and decided to fix everything. The shirt, timing, metal, drinks ( plenty for all runners), and food after the race were wonderful. I especially liked the soup, tomato basil and chicken noodle. Well done Hyannis!!!
Now for my race. Let me preface that I had a problem with the bunion on my left foot before the race, weeks before. So 2 days before we left for the race I got a tight wrap for my left foot. I wore it the day before when I had soup and salad for lunch and ww pasta for supper. I drank at least 80 oz of water and woke with a full stomach and not feeling like myself.
The start was fine and my 1st 1/2 was 1:47 and I felt good until mile 15. By mile 18 I felt like I was going to puke. At 20 I had to walk, I felt light headed and I could take the last 2 gels. I walked/ran until the about 25.2 mark and then ran to the finish with both legs cramping. 4:18:44, 6/13 60-69M, 246/402. Pros/Cons not feeling stiff today and I made the race into a long training run for Boston; wish I could have run without feeling sick had a time in the 4:40s.
Today I had acupuncture and I talked to Dr. Mark about my race. I showed him where the band had been and how I was still wearing it and my digestion was all messed up. He said it was over the major meridian for the stomach and all the digestive organs and the liver. After acupuncture I feel 100% better. Live and learn even at 60 ;) 
My friend Nick Platsis came in 82th, 3:38:32. Way to go Nick!

No comments: