Thursday, November 24, 2011

75th Manchester Road Race

I did run 11 miles on Sunday and swam 40 laps on Monday before taking 2 days off in preparation for Manchester. I have been in the U-35 corral for several years but I was not so hopeful this year.
I warmed up about 1.5 miles and then walked about .75 miles to the start (after a break to used the DD bathroom). It was a great day to run and my Achilles felt OK but not great at the start. Mile 1: 7:10; which I felt was a little fast but then we go up hill for almost 3/4 of a mile. My form was good and I hit the downhill at 6:20/mi. But at mile 4 I had to slow some; it seems like my Achilles loosens between mile 4-5 on every run and going a little slower helps it come back. I hit the last downhill on Main street and I tried to sprint to the finish, about 0.4 of a mile. Here, the twelfth person ran into me, I'm not sure but this had to be a record for me in Manchester. It started 0.25 miles into the race where people pushed into me to go past. Most of the runners in the corrals are experienced runners and usually polite. I did not find this to be so today. At 59 with a weakened Achilles it probably slowed me some during the race.
Results: Unofficially 35:05, I missed staying in the U-35 corral by 6 seconds. I'm happy with the race, though, especially since my 3 daughters who ran all said they hoped to start closer to the front because they all want to run faster.
2 ran their first half marathon this year and all plan to run  at least 2 halfs in 2012. Maybe I be able to run with them in their first full marathon in the near future if they want me to run with them.

No comments: