Thursday, April 21, 2011

Random Thoughts While Not Running

I usually take time off after a marathon until my leg soreness is gone. It will probably be Sunday although I feel 100% better today than yesterday.
My age-graded equivalent time for the Boston Marathon is 3:06:51. I'm sure this is only significant to people that are older and runners 18-40 would dismiss this but I believe this this is more significant than the younger runners think. I did run 15-20 miles 3 times a week in the Summer after my senior year in college and I felt strong all Summer and ran 7:30-8:00 per mile for at least 15 weeks. I wasn't training for anything and did not run any races since there were few to run and I didn't think of myself as a runner.  
If I read the qualifying times correctly, I am 13:07 faster than the qualifying time foe 60 year olds for Boston next year (I'll be 60 in January). I think this is correct. If I'm reading this wrong PLEASE let me know.
My peeps at Fleet Feet made me feel so good yesterday when I walked in for work. They cheered my Boston results and one person even said I inspired him to run a marathon. I felt so bad at the end of the marathon and felt my time was so slow that I hoped that this was not going to be the time I was now going to aim for as a result. I am better than this. I need to run more and get back to where I was when I was runnig doublr digit miles at least 3x's a week.
This is my 2011 goal. I hope to take a step toward that goal in Vermont. 3:39+ would show me I can do this. That is the time I am aiming for now. Then in September who knows?

No comments: