Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Boston: Reality but Disappointment

I should have known what the outcome would be but I held out hope that I could rise to the occasion and run a 3:30 something. I knew my average of 31+ miles per week this year was way below what I usually run for my best times in marathon (40-45 mile/week). But I was hopeful.
I started off too fast. 7:35 for the first mile. I tried to cut back but I was carried along by the crowd. I thought I could keep up if I stayed mentally tough. My first 5 miles were about 8:05/mi. Too fast! At mile 7 I thought I would not make 26.2. It lasted until mile 10 when I felt much better. Let me digress.
I ate pizza for my supper the night before. I hadn't had much beer and I didn't drink enough water. I woke up at 3 AM and ate some oatmeal/granola mix for breakfast. I never usually eat. I had a banana at 8 and a Powerbar and by the time the race started I felt full, just like in Miami.
I was OK from mile 10-17 but as the Newton hills piled up I felt my calves weaken. By Heartbreak both calves were cramping. My left continued to cramp every few steps until mile 25 and then it was almost every step.  When I got to the 23 mile marker I had to steel myself because I felt I had little left.
I ran down under the last overpass and up and around the corner and turned to see the finish line. I kept my eyes down just trying to put one foot in front of the other to make the finish. The final straightaway took 4 minutes.
I finished ans as I moved through the line to the metal and food my calves cramped up and I couldn't move. One of the medical folks came over and asked if I was OK. I said I couldn't move. She stayed with me and my calves loosened up so I left for the Back Bay Hotel where the Hartford Track Club had our rooms. I got inside and put one foot on the stairs and my leg locked up again. A women behind me asked if I needed help; I said I couldn't move for the moment but I'd be OK. I finally made it upstairs and after showering I was OK.
On the bus I sat next to Marc who had #191. I said wow that's a low number and I wondered how fast he ran per mile. Ha said 4:45-5/mi. I thought I had misunderstood him. He finished #88 in 2:31. He ran 5:46/mi. I think he had said 5:45/mi after I thought about it. Impressive he ran almost exactly the pace he said he would. He is 36 years old. Marc Robaczynski.
Today my legs are sore and I do have some nerve pain behind my knee. I think it will go away and I am looking forward to Vermont.

No comments: