Sunday, October 12, 2008

ING Greater Hartford Marathon

What a day. The weather was perfect and I got to say hi to about 20 fellow Maniacs. The marathon is an out and back on a beautiful road in East Hartford and South Windsor.
I got in the porta potty line at 7:40 with layers of clothes on. I thought I would get through in 20 minutes. I finished at about 7:52, 8 minutes before the race. I ran back to my car took off the outer clothes and put my sunglasses on and ran to the start. I had to squeeze down the outside behind the barrier. A young lady just behind the Elites said she was looking for the 4 hour pacer. As she moved over to the side I was able to get in just behind the first mat.
I gun went off and I was up very close to the front. The half starts with the full so I was running too fast at first. My first 2 miles were at an 8.2 mph pace. I slowed over the next 2 miles to 7.8 mph and bounced between 7.8 and 7.7 for most of the race. The very end has 3 hills and before the hills I was on a 3:29+ pace. 
I finished in 3:31:26 for 344 overall and 5th (5/75) in my age group M55-59. I missed 3rd by 2:41.It was a great day and I will use this time to run Boston next year.  

No comments: