Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Key Bank Vermont City Marathon

My family loves the Burlington VT area. We stayed at 2 different Marriott motels. The first the TowneSuites. We had ajoining rooms. The staff was very helpful. It was nice. 4 stars.
On Sunday night we stayed at the Marriott Residence Inn which was even nicer and the staff were equally as nice.
The first night, Friday, 3 of us ate at the 3 Tomatoes next to the theater. The Switchback beer was excellent, bartender not so much and the calamere was salty.
Shaws has a great selection of natural foods which is in walking distance of the restaurant in Williston. But onto the race.
I had a banana and a power bar, Clif Builder, the morning of the race and I remembered the Tylenol. The night before Keith and I had whole wheat pasta, I had a couple of beers.
The weather was perfect. We started with the 9:00/mile group. This is a great race because the family gets to see you at the start, 3.3 miles, 8.7 miles, 15.1 miles, and the finish. Keith was high fiving everyone as we went by.
Keith was on pace for a sub 4 hour until his IT band acted up at mile 14. He had to stretch it at every drink stop from 15 miles on. But he hung in there and he finished in 7:25:12 taking 30 minutes off his Chicago time. A new PR!!! I finished 1 second back. I may write more later. It was a wonderful experience to run the whole race with my son. Not many people get the chance. I'll always remember it.

No comments: