Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Lake Placid Marathon

I had a good week leading up to the marathon. I ran Monday through Thursday a total of 28 miles for the week.
It was a different marathon than I am use to. I went by myself; it took about 4 hours to drive there. The trip went well, the Google directions were perfect.
I didn't have to show ID to get my number. The people were friendly and very low key.
I stayed in Elizabethtown about 24 miles away. After I ate a late lunch I drove toward Elizabethtown to find a church. I was lost and just happened upon Holy Family at 3:57 and saw everyone going in for 4 o'clock mass. This was a good sign. After I asked directions to Elizabethtown.
My motel was a throw back to the 60's but it was nice and inexpensive. I was quoted over $200 in Lake Placid. My total bill was $65.
I left at 5:30 for the race. A deer ran in front of me about 5 miles down the road so I slowed down some. Another deer ran in front of me about 15 minutes later. But I arrived in one piece.
There was plenty of parking. Not a lot of people at first.
When we lined up the runners seemed reluctant to move to the line. I was about 10 feet back.
It started by going around a small lake. Very pretty.
Then out and back twice. When we turned at the ski jump the mountains were in the background. BEAUTIFUL! Everyone was encouraging and very friendly. I felt good but I started taking Gu at 5.5 miles and took 5 total at about 5.5, 10, 15, 19, 23. I also remembered to take Tylenol. There was a 12 year old that ran the 1/2 in 1:51.
It was great fun. I felt strong the whole time and ran past about 25 people in the last 10 miles.
I finished in 3:36:35 for 28th place overall and 3rd in my age group, 50 - 59.
I stayed around after to get my plaque and relax before driving back. I got home and my wife had a great supper for me on Father's Day. It was a great weekend.
I can now join the Marathon Maniacs!!! 3 marathons in 3 months was what I needed to accomplish. I did 3 in less than 2 months.

No comments: